The symptoms of candida overgrowth are nonspecific, meaning that most of them could also be symptoms of another medical condition.
Briefly, options include:
2. Quantifying symptoms
3. Quantifying risk factors
Please see our ‘Candida Information’ page for more information.
It may be best to wait until any severe die-off symptoms have subsided before taking high-dose probiotics.
Milk thistle can be useful for liver support.
A more intensive liver cleanse is recommended by some practitioners. Others prefer to use such a cleanse separately, either before or after taking antifungal formulas, as it can increase the severity of die-off symptoms when used concurrently.
There are other antifungals that can be added. These include garlic and herbal tannates, among others, however, it may be better to rotate these with CandidaGo. If you do choose to use them concurrently, it may be best to wait until any severe die-off symptoms have subsided.
Please refer to our ‘Candida Information Page’ for additional information.
You may also sign up to receive a copy of our complimentary anti-Candida diet guide at https://vitaanahealth.com/candida
Fully eliminating an overgrowth from the body may however take a period of months. For some, it takes over a year. This is particularly likely if the Candida is severe, or if it has been present for many years. It can take much longer if not following an anti-Candida diet.
Once the symptoms are relieved, it is important to continue taking the supplement until you are retested and found to be free of Candida overgrowth.
If test results remain positive, or if symptoms persist, it is important to continue treatment with antifungals and/or high dose probiotics.
It IS a good idea to have antifungals on hand in case you take antibiotics in the future. In a susceptible individual, Candida may also overgrow again during times of stress or increased challenges to the immune system, including dietary challenges.
CandidaGo has not been tested in pregnant women, nor have many of its ingredients. It is best to err on the side of caution and not take it while pregnant.
CandidaGo has not been tested in breastfeeding mothers, nor have most of its ingredients.
Apart from concerns regarding potential harm to the infant, an additional concern during breastfeeding is the strong oregano flavor. This may be transmitted to the mother’s milk.
Also, Black Walnut may reduce milk production in a lactating mother.
In the case of a severe or longstanding overgrowth, an immunosuppresed or more debilitated individual, it may take weeks, or even months.
In some cases, it is possible to increase the speed of response by taking a higher dose probiotic or additional antifungals. But remember that using these early in treatment may increase die-off symptoms.
Please refer to “What Is Die-off” on the ‘Candida Information’ page for more information.
Please refer to “What can I do to minimize die-off symptoms” on the ‘Candida Information’ page
Some believe that it may be an indication that heavy metals stored in the body are being released into the system.
Try taking bentonite clay (food grade) or charcoal capsules, but be sure to take clay or charcoal well away from meals and nutritional supplements as they may also bind and cause elimination of beneficial nutrients. [/accordion_item][accordion_item title=”I get a strong taste of oregano throughout the day when taking CandidaGo. Is this normal? ” open=”no” bg_color=”#FF9305″]CandidaGo does contain a high dose of oregano, perhaps the most important ingredient in the formula. Some people are particularly sensitive to the strong flavor.
If you are bothered by it, you may find it helpful to take CandidaGo early in your meals. Try eating a little, taking CandidaGo, then finishing your meal.
This is (with the exception of the oregano) a low potency formula if taken according to the instructions on the label, however, a licensed M.D. or naturopathic physician can order some of the most accurate tests for diagnosing candida overgrowth. Of course, there is much that you can do on your own to build a strong case for or against the likelihood of Candida being the cause of your symptoms.
Also, some of the die-off symptoms can be worrying or frightening, but manageable by a knowledgeable practitioner.
If you subscribe to Amazon Prime, then we suggest you place your order via Amazon, which will save you on shipping costs.
The only ingredient in CandidaGo that is a common allergen is black walnut (see “ALLERGEN WARNING” on product label). But it is impossible to formulate a product that can be guaranteed to never cause an allergic reaction because any ingredient in any product can cause an allergic reaction in someone. This can even include aloe vera and capryllic acid, both often used for healing the skin, or reishi, enzymes, and L. acidophilus, all of which are sometimes used by practitioners to prevent or treat allergies and sensitivities.
A Few General Suggestions
The instructions read, “take 2 capsules daily with meals.” Unless under the care of a knowledgeable practitioner, it is important that you do not exceed this dose, and it is best that the two capsules be taken with 2 different meals. Taking an excessive dose (more than 2 daily, or taking both with a single meal) may contribute to lasting sensitization to an ingredient in the product. If you know that you are particularly sensitive, consider starting with one capsule a day.
Also, if you are a particularly sensitive individual, or if you suspect an allergy or sensitivity to any ingredient, you may choose to try first taking each of the ingredients separately. Unless you suspect a sensitivity to another ingredient, oregano is a good place to start because it is present in a high dose in CandidaGo and so it may be more likely to cause a reaction in a sensitive individual.
If you have already taken a high dose, you may have developed a permanent sensitization to it. If not already sensitized, you may need to take an equivalently high dose to be certain if you will react, but be safe and start with a low dose initially.
Before deciding to try this option, consider whether or not any of the allergies listed below apply to you. (Some of these have been shown to cause reactions primarily when injected, or when their pollens are inhaled, so oral use may not cause a reaction.)
Some Clues to Potential Allergic or Sensitivity Skin Reactions
…including reactions reported to be caused by these ingredients or related substances (Active Ingredients only):
- Oregano is most likely to cause a reaction in someone who is allergic to the Mint family.
- Capryllic acid can cause a skin reaction in someone who is allergic to coconut (or tree nuts or peanuts), although this is also rare.
- Arabinogalactan could cause an allergic reaction in someone with larch allergy.
- Anise could cause a reaction in someone allergic to the Apiaceae family, which includes caraway, dill, cumin and fennel, also in those allergic to mugwort or birch pollen, or to celery.
- Artemisia: the pollen has been studied for allergic potential, however, individuals who may have reactions include those with allergies to honey, sunflower seeds, chamomile, pistachio, nuts, apple, lettuce, pollen, beer and carrot.
- Aloe vera could cause a reaction in those allergic to plants in the Liliacease family, which includes garlic and onion.
- Capryllic acid (derived from coconut oil) could trigger allergies in those who are allergic to coconut, tree nuts and peanuts.
- Reishi: there have been instances of skin reactions, primarily to injected reishi preparations, however, there is at least one report of an apparent skin reaction to reishi wine.
- L. acidophilus: some potential exists for adverse reactions in patients who do not tolerate dairy products.
- Protease and cellulase: while digestive enzymes, including protease and cellulase, are often used for preventing or treating adverse reactions to foods, even these can occasionally cause a reaction in a susceptible individual.
If you have reactions, especially to the oral use of any of these, either avoid or use caution when beginning use of CandidaGo.
- If you are allergic or sensitive to any of its ingredients, CandidaGo may not be appropriate for you. In that case, you do have other natural options. Consider other natural antifungals. Probiotics are also important, however, keep in mind that they are used for replenishing the beneficial flora that are crowded out by the candida, not as specific antifungals.
- Not all uncomfortable reactions to CandidaGo are allergic/sensitivity reactions, or even adverse reactions, per se. Especially if candida infection is severe, a Herxheimer (“die-off”) reaction can occur. This may trigger or exacerbate any symptoms that can be caused by candida overgrowth itself. While this is a positive sign, discomfort can be mild or severe, and only you and your healthcare provider can determine when it is appropriate to make adjustments in your supplement dosing and diet.
A Herxheimer, or die-off, reaction occurs when dying candida release toxins into the body. This can cause or exacerbate any of the myriad of candida symptoms, especially in the early stages of treatment.
If you have constipation as a primary symptom of your candida (or constipation-dominant type of IBS), you could take one capsule a day for a week or more before increasing to the full dose of two a day.
Several of the ingredients (Oregano, Aloe Vera, Arabinogalactan, Black Walnut) in CandidaGo are sometimes used to treat constipation, while others (L. acidophilus, Anise, Artemisia, Reishi, and digestive enzymes, including Protease and Cellulase) are sometimes used to normalize bowel function, and so may be used to treat both constipation and diarrhea. That said, occasionally one of these has been reported to have a paradoxical (opposite) effect.
One ingredient (Capryllic Acid) has sometimes been known to cause gastrointestinal symptoms, however, this ingredient is present here near the lower end of the therapeutic dose range, which is unlikely to cause symptoms, with the exception of the Herxheimer reaction mentioned above.
Finally, CandidaGo does contain fiber in the form of arabinogalactan. While fiber is one key to preventing constipation, it is essential to drink enough water while taking it, or it can cause or worsen constipation. At a minimum, drink ½ as many ounces of plain water every day as you weigh in pounds.
A few additional suggestions:
1) Consider taking magnesium. If your symptoms also include insomnia, you could take it near bedtime.
2) Drink hot water with lemon juice.
3) Consider taking a break from CandidaGo and beginning with a liver cleanse, also using castor oil packs over the liver three times a week, then return to using CandidaGo.
4) Be persistent in working to eliminate your candida, as candida itself can cause constipation.
You can find our contact information on our ‘Contact’ page.
Even when it is barely alive, it can continue to survive. And if “watered and fed properly,” could grow again, returning to its former glory.
This is a very important concept to understand when we consider the importance and place the diet treatment holds in the elimination of Candida.
DIET RARELY ELIMINATES CANDIDA. ITS PURPOSE IS TO MAKE THE CANDIDA WEAKER SO THAT THE MEDICINES CAN TOTALLY DESTROY IT!”
Source: The Biamonte Center for Clinical Nutrition – by Michael Biamonte – Doctorate of Nutripathy and Certified Clinical Nutritionist in New York State